Your HR Questions Answered

We aim to give our readers and followers the best advice when it comes to managing people effectively. Every month you can read a digest of some HR questions that might be relevant for you.

Q: When should I report an accident at work to the HSA?

A: The HSA must be notified of all: 1) fatal work-related accidents 2) accidents causing injury that result in the person carrying out work being absent from work or being unable to carry out his/her normal duties, for more than three consecutive days 3) accidents caused as a result of work or work activity, which result in a person who is not at work (a member of the public), suffering a fatal injury or an injury that requires hospital treatment or the attention of a doctor.

Q: When I am calculating three consecutive days, do I consider the weekend?

A: Yes, weekends and other normal days off (such as holidays) are included when calculating the period of absence following an accident.

Q: What is the Health and Safety Authorities’ role in relation to bullying?

A: Bullying has been identified as a safety issue, which means that when an HSA inspector is carrying out a workplace inspection, he/she will examine a business’s safety statement to ensure that the issue of bullying is dealt with. The HSA may also investigate a bullying claim in the workplace.

Q: Do we have to have a trained first aider in the business?

A: Yes. Employers are required by law to designate occupational first-aiders at the workplace as are necessary. The number depends on the size of the business and the findings of a risk assessment. You can find out how many are required in your Business here.

We have a team of trained and skilled investigators and consultants who have extensive experience in this area and would be happy to discuss any issue of concern with you. Just email us on or call Ingrid on 01 5252914.

Kate Siberry, HR Executive, Voltedge Management